Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tuesday, Day 8

I was at the school again today tutoring students in reading and math. The kids are so fun to be around. During one session I was helping two girls, Mahalakshmi and Prya. They read out loud at the same time. When one of them struggled with a word the other would stop and help her out. It was very cute.

I at lunch in the cafeteria with some of the girls and had them teach me how to eat with their hands. Everyone in India eats their food with their right hand. It seemed pretty tricky to me at first but I think I am getting the hang of it. I might keep doing it back in the States, one less thing to wash right :)

At family time the house mom Gandhimathi let me borrow one of her saris and taught me how to fold it! There is a lot more folding and tucking that goes into than I had thought. It was so fun! Here I am:

Gandhimathi and I (when I stand up straight she only comes to my shoulder)
courtney and I
And this is Sakish getting ready for bed. Isn't he just the cutest thing?

2 comments:

  1. I love the color of your sari. I'm sure the children love you as well. It will be hard for them to say good-bye to you, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get my voicemail before you left? It had something to do with the left hand and how it is considered gross/rude to use it at all in India because it's the hand used to go to the bathroom. lol. When you made that comment about eating with the right hand that fact popped into my mind. Of course I got that from my poo calendar ;) hahaha. P.s: My friend Brittany from Manassas Va went to India and I was talking to her about how you were there. And we talked about eating and she said you can only use your right hand right side up (as opposed to looking like you're scooping it up to your mouth). That sounds difficult! But you always picked things up a lot quicker than Katherine and I lol. I miss you girl! Looks like you're having fun! :D

    ReplyDelete