Friday, June 24, 2011

Thursday, Day 3

Today was a great day. I feel like I am getting closer with a few of the kids because they are opening up to me and I to them.

My group was assigned to tutor in the school today. Each time I do it I enjoy it more. I really love spending time with these kids, they are all so special and unique. I tutored Rosy twice today, reading and math. She struggles with reading, she doesn't have a very big vocabulary. We read "The Boy Who cried Wolf". I had to explain a lot of words to her such as "angry" or "meadow". Although she could read most of the words, she struggled with comprehension. So we took turns reading and we spent some time talking about the story and explaining what was happening. And she was understanding! She wanted to finish the book to see how it ending. Later that day after we had finished her math we opened up a big animal encyclopedia. She was so intrigued and had never heard of many of the animals, like turtles! I really enjoyed the time I spent with her because I knew that she was learning and enjoying it. And added bonus, I introduced her to turtles :)

This is Peter. He is a super smart kid. He didn't even need my help with his math.

At break I played some hand games with these little girls. They love going back and forth saying the ABC's except for them it is, "yay, b, c". Haha.

I love the boys I am with during family time. They are always so happy and excited to play even the simplest of games. They love to use our flash lights to make a "light show" and dance around or play fight. I have also spent a lot of time helping with times table homework. I am super! "Super" is said all the time here instead of "great" or "awesome", except you have to say it with an accent, "sou-pear." :) Super!

This is a picture of a Tamil book. I just think it is really neat and the writing is beautiful. (Sorry it is sideways.)

The children are so lucky to being going to school here. It is a really loving environment and they are learning the two most important skills you can have here in India, English and computer skills. I am so blessed to be a part of this effort. I cannot wait to see where some of these kids are in 5 or 10 years.

1 comment:

  1. What ages are the children? Will the school take them through high school? When do they see their families? Are their siblings in the school with them?

    I love the pictures of you!

    ReplyDelete