Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thursday, Day 10

Today my group was on construction duty. While we were there we saw a snake! Apparently the man below catches snakes all the time. And he milks the venomous ones and then dilutes it and drinks it! The snake he had today was apparently a rat snake. It was a yellowish/orange color and at least 4 1/2 feet long.
"The Snake charmer"

Today we moved some more bricks and cinderblocks. And for the first time got to see them being put to use! Each bathroom will have a raised wooden floor and split into 2 halves. One half will be used for about a year and then they will switch to the other half and let the first half compost. The bathrooms will also have a place to shower. These bathrooms are really helpful because it means that the leprosy-afflicted don't have to walk far away or use their backyard as a toilet.
The inside of a partially completed bathroom.

A completed bathroom (in the center)! We are helping to make a difference!

We stopped at the Bindu Art School again and I bought 2 paintings. This is me with the artists. They are both leprosy-afflicted. The man on the left has no fingers but he still created that beautiful painting! It was so hard to choose, they were all so beautiful! But I made a decision, all by myself, you should be proud family :)

This afternoon we had little classes with the kids in our houses. I brought a bunch of beads for them to make necklaces and bracelets. They all loved it. Who would have thought?

All of our boys :)

Yummy dinner! Especially the Indian version of french fries (top right).

We are leaving for Delhi tomorrow morning at 3 am and we will not be back until Sunday night. So I will not be posting for a while. I will be sure to take lots of pictures and post them when I return! Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see a picture of you with the artists of the paintings you purchased!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little boys are little boys around the world. They all have that little boy look in their eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Katherine - I'm just catching up on reading your blog. it's so awesome. I love all the pictures and all of your awesome comments. Good job making a decision all by yourself! India looks beautiful and so do you. Love!

    ReplyDelete