Sunday, June 19, 2011

I am on my way!

I am finally on my way to India!

I left Virginia last night, I am in London right now, and will arrive in India tomorrow morning.

I will be in India for three weeks working with the group Rising Star Outreach. Rising Star's mission is to help the leprosy colonies become thriving, self-sufficient communities. They are trying to accomplish this by 1) educating the children in a safe, healthy environment, 2) provide leprosy patients with their own small business through micro-finance, and 3) addressing the health challenges of the colonies with mobile medical clinics.

While I am there I will rotate between helping teach the children English, working on projects in the colonies, and traveling with the mobile medical clinic.

I am really excited for my upcoming adventure in India! I hope you will check back from time to time as I am planning on posting pictures and my experiences.

In the mean time, check out http://www.risingstaroutreach.org/history to explore their site and learn a little more

and watch a brief video introduction

and if you have an hour to spare, a really great documentary.

mary katherine

4 comments:

  1. Mary Katherine! You are in India... I think... ahhhh! I hope you love love love it! I am so excited for you. Will you have a phone? Different phone number? I'm up for talking whenever you get the chance. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes! Mary Kathrine I know it's been forever but wow! This is so amazing I'm so excited for you and excited to read all about your adventures out there. I've always wanted to visit India but for now I guess I can see what it's like there through you :) Take care!

    Khand

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you write and your insights. I'm sure the children love you. Who is taking the pictures of you? They are wonderful.

    Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary KatherINE!
    Volunteering IN
    INDIA
    Mary KathINDIA!

    What's gotten IN TO YA?
    Why are you sittin' on the FLOOR?
    Indian kids want MORE
    of
    Mary KathINDA!

    Indian kids are SURE
    THAT
    Everyone who knows HER
    Loves Mary KAT

    Imagine THAT?
    Mary KathINDIA is PURE

    ReplyDelete