Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tuesday, Day 1

My first full day in India was very full.


I started off the day with yoga, on the roof, with the sun rising over India. It was the best! Even though it was only 7:30, I am sure it was already at least 80 degrees. It is not much hotter than a hot Virginia day, except it doesn't get much cooler at night here. (We do have ac in our rooms that we turn on at night, so nice!) I am guzzling water at every chance I get, but I am pretty sure it is just barely more than I am sweating out.

Today my group was assigned to help tutor the kids during school. We mostly helped with reading and occasionally math. I think they are doing a pretty good job reading in a second language but they still need a lot of work. This girl, I think her name is Mahalakshmi, didn't want to stop reading! For lunch we went to the cafeteria and ate with the kids. They all eat with their hands and clean every last morsel from their plates, it's amazing!

After tutoring, the volunteers have a bit of free time. And boy is the rest nice! It gives us a chance to cool down and rehydrate. Then we are off to play time again. It is very hot and the kids keep us busy, but it is so fun to play with them. (I wish I had more arms so I could push more than two kids at a time!)


Then we are off to dinner, my favorite! This is the view from the roof as we eat dinner and the sun sets. The big black tank to the right purifies our drinking water. The only problem is it is on the roof, in a black tank, this makes the water very hot out of the faucet, haha. (But at least I am not getting worms from drinking it!) After dinner, it was time to go back to the kids' rooms and help with homework. They do not have the luxury of printing worksheets for kids so homework consists of writing the times tables several times or copying sentences.

The day went by very fast and by the end I was ready to sleep. Overall, it was a good day to get a feel of what life will be like while I am staying here . . . I think I am going to like it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment