Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tuesday, Day 15

My group went to construction again today. We moved about 1,700 bricks in 2 hours! We walked past some of the house that we moved bricks and cinderblocks to last week and saw that they had already started building the bathrooms. So cool to see our hard work already making a difference!

We are pros with the assembly line!

After we finished our work some of the other volunteers went to the art school. But Traci and I went to visit the barber. He is leprosy afflicted and received a micro-loan from Rising Star to start a small barber shop. Traci asked him to trim her bangs. He sat her down and put an apron around her. Then he brushed out her hair and put it in a pony tail and was about to cut three inches off! Haha. We told him to wait and I showed him several times to only cut off 1/4 inch. Then he cut her bangs, straight across. It was probably the most entertaining hair cut I have ever seen (I don't think he has much experience cutting a woman's hair). He was so nice and excited to be able to cut Traci's hair. It was also very neat for me to see how a micro-loan was able to change this man's life.
This is Rangith and I doing homework. It seems like he always has the most work to do, not sure why, but he is dedicated and always gets it done.

The boys have started to ask me when I am leaving. I hate to tell them I am leaving on Saturday :( I have loved being here and will really miss them. They want me to come back again, but I don't know if I can. I don't want to leave! At least not right now. The time has flown by too fast.

1 comment:

  1. You can be friends forever with those kids. It would be good writing practice for them to be pen pals with you. It breaks my heart for them to get attached to the volunteers who are always leaving. Are you thinking of bringing one of them home with you?

    Have you told them how many Indian friends, doctors, professionals that we have in Washington, DC? Your little friend who doubted himself, can indeed be an engineer!

    You are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete