Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Monday, Day 14

Today my group was on the medical rotation. And this time I got to do what I really wanted to since I came here!
Let me explain the process (sorry if this is too much information): The leprosy afflicted patients arrive to the clinic, collect their charts and have their blood pressure checked. Then they have a little check up with Dr. Susan (an Indian doctor who volunteers her time to help the leprosy afflicted). Then their bandages are removed and their ulcers are photographed to mark their progress. Their feet are washed to clean them as well as loosen some of dead skin and make it easier to cut their nails. After being washed I put oil on their feet. Neem oil is used to hydrate the skin and also keeps bugs and critters away from the wounds. Then their ulcers are bandaged, they collect medicine and extra wound care supplies, and are done.

These patients no longer have active cases of leprosy, but are still suffering from lingering affects of the disease. For example leprosy causes bone, cartilage, and tissue to be reabsorbed into the body which is why many of the patients have shorter fingers and toes or none at all. Another affect is a decreased sensation of pain in the extremities. When a person with normal sensation sits for a while on their foot their body automatically tells them to rotate position to get blood circulating in that area again. In the leprosy afflicted, they often cannot tell if they have been putting too much pressure on a body part. This decreased circulation causes ulcers or deep wounds that take a long time to heal.

As a nursing student I am no stranger to wounds and the like that often gross out other people, but I was still very affected by each patient. Each ulcer means that the person has little or no feeling in that area of their body. It means they suffered with leprosy long enough to have such a devastating consequence. It means they suffered from a disease that is so easily curable. It means they were ostracized to a colony because they were thought of as sinners.

It was very humbling to do such a simple thing for each of these people who are so grateful for everything. This song helps to explain how I feel; "I have no right to complain because I have been blessed, I am grateful."

Who knew there are cactuses in India?

After we finished at the colony we stopped by an Emu farm. Apparently having Emu is a sign of wealth. Also, they use all the parts of the Emu, for what purposes, I don't know.

Then we stopped at a private catholic hospital. It was so clean and empty. I am not sure why no one goes there, lack a transportation perhaps, or money? It is one of those things about India that just make me wonder . . .

Me and an Indian nun

This is Vicky and I at family time. The other night he figured out a way to use my water bottle to prop up the flash light. I praised him for his ingenuity and told him he could become and engineer one day. First his face lit up with the complement, then he said, "No, I can't do that." I told him he really could. And I really believe it. After he finishes school he will receive some money from Rising Star to help pay for college. He will be educationally and financial ready for university. That is so cool to me. Without Rising Star his opportunities would be so much more limited. I am so excited to see what these kids do with their lives. Even if a lot of them don't end up going to university, they will have an education which is soo important. They will instill in their future families the importance of an education. And generation by generation they will help to raise their families out of the poverty and ostracism associated with leprosy.

Sorry this blog was so long-winded :)

1 comment: